Travel and away from home


i have a client , who was away from his home while working Philadelphia , his company has contract at University of PA, he and other co coworker rented an apartment sharing the rent while they were working there last year . how is the
new tax law treat their expenses. such as rent , and food while they away from their home.


There really isn’t much he can do from the tax side of things. Perhaps he should go to his employer and request reimbursement? Obviously, with the new tax law, unreimbursed employee expenses are no longer allowed. Since he is W2, he cannot claim on a schedule C.

I would recommend you work with him (via tax planning) to address this potential problem for 2019. For 2018, it may have to be chalked up to “lesson learned”.

Take a look at the Pennsylvania return: image