If you have a recommendation for Canopy, please create that discussion in the Ideation category. We will be able to give better feedback with status changes and comments regarding the decisions made. It will also allow individuals to actually "upvote" the ideas they like.

Open PDF from Canopy in Adobe so that it can be edited

Eve_PEve_P Posts: 8 ✭✭

We use PDFs for all of our workpapers. Please add functionality so that we can select a PDF from Canopy and have the option for it to open and be editable in Adobe. Additionally, some of our 'accounting specific' PDF tools can only be accessed via Adobe as tools.

We 'touch' these workpapers multiple times throughout a week or even a day, so it is not practical or efficient to have to Download/Save/Upload each time. Particularly during tax season.

Thanks!

9 votes

Idea Submitted to Product Team · Last Updated

Submitted as part of monthly reporting to the product team.

Comments

• This feature is critical to our efficiency. If we have to download files to open/work on them, it will significantly increase the time we take on every project. :( Hoping you will be able to add the ability to open/use the pdf directly from canopy really soon!

• KellyKelly Posts: 30 ✭✭✭

I agree 100% and would like to see the ability to save directly to and send directly from Canopy. Currently, when documents are received from a client, they are scanned, then saved to a folder in Dropbox, then uploaded to Canopy. When a form, such as 8821, 2848, 433, etc. is completed in Canopy, it must be downloaded to a folder in Dropbox before it can be faxed to the IRS. This has been quite frustrating and adds unnecessary time to each task. Please add this feature ASAP!

• TerryKlein123TerryKlein123 Posts: 11

This feature is critical to our efficiency. If we have to download files to open/work on them, it will significantly increase the time we take on every project. :( Hoping you will be able to add the ability to open/use the pdf directly from canopy really soon!

• FateFate Posts: 1

To me this is a very important function to assist with company efficiency. There are too many steps required to send and complete required client documents, which really are nuisance steps. The overall ability to create, edit, and modify fillable document templates for potential, prospective, and current clients. Being able create templates or upload existing documents for conversion into a fillable template for the client to click and fill within canopy would be great especially for frequently used document such as new/potential client intake data forms, existing client's updates to information forms. As of now, we have to prepare or upload the forms to their file. Then the client has to download, print, complete, sign, then re-upload that form.
    I am currently having to use multiple programs to gather client data for remote clientele. For example, new or potential clients would use the client portal to view my required documents list, client intake forms, and securely send their documents to me. Many times the client either lacks the ability to print out the data forms I need completed or feel like the process is too complex and complicated for them. So then I have to send a fillable/editable form version from another program such as Adobe, PDF Filler, Docusign, or DocHub for them to click and fill. Which results in several of them only using the client portal once or scheduling several in-person appointments.

• JohnThrivesJohnThrives Posts: 145 ✭✭✭✭

This probably requires a deep integration with Microsoft's OneDrive and/or DropBox to have direct access from the file explorer to allow Adobe to directly access Canopy's file system. This would be nice though because that will allow me to use iPadOS and iOS markup feature to edit documents quickly.

• JohnThrivesJohnThrives Posts: 145 ✭✭✭✭

I also forgot to mention that if this feature did get deployed, only 1 person at a time can access the file for editing otherwise the file may get corrupted and permanently damaged unless a MacOS "Revert To" timeline feature is implemented to go back in time.

• NickNick Posts: 13 ✭✭

Agreed. This capability would be amazing! I literally just posted another comment regarding this. From Canopy's side, maybe having an open sourced interface with office 365 and sharepoint would work?

Another idea is if you do implement this, I guarantee a LOT of firms would ditch their servers and improve their workflow!