If you have a recommendation for Canopy, please create that discussion in the Ideation category. We will be able to give better feedback with status changes and comments regarding the decisions made. It will also allow individuals to actually "upvote" the ideas they like.

Tax Software Comparison

brielle_ptaxes
brielle_ptaxes Chief HelperPosts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
our company has been with Drake Software since 89, which is a REALLY long time. and i am shocked i'm even saying this but we have decided that it is worth our time to at least check into other tax software (including drake) during the off-season this year.

What tax software do your firms use and what are its Pros and Cons?

Comments

• brielle_ptaxes
    brielle_ptaxes Chief Helper Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
    Drake Tax Software:
    -Pros: our company has been using it forever, it has all our clients historical data and carry-forwards; which makes change hard. Easy to use and navigate with shortcut keys and macros, all you have to know is the tax form and you can find it. integrates the "Tax Book" in line. Drake has client and preparer tracking. Can be used locally, on server, or cloud (but not all at the same time). it has every state (48) and every form (1040, 1120, 1120S, 1065, 706, 1041, 990). EFilling is very simple and straight forward, we can efile amendments. Preparer permissions can be customized. lots of alerts to make sure you don't miss anything required or important. Billing can be customized in a variety of ways. client payment systems can be integrated. SecureFilePro is built in.

-Cons: set up is not intuitive, software does not have a SQL or Access backend so it is very slow and top heavy when using a server. updates tend to "break" functionality. Integration to other calendar systems is faulty at best. (i spend about 11 hrs a month, fixing little issues). you have to login separately to each year's document manager or each years tax program to access historical data. no real Client Manager, just a brief note on status. multiple note styles which require best practices to determine how they are used.