If you have a recommendation for Canopy, please create that discussion in the Ideation category. We will be able to give better feedback with status changes and comments regarding the decisions made. It will also allow individuals to actually "upvote" the ideas they like.

Individual and Business Contact

hyun_kimhyun_kim Posts: 7

I do not know if this has already been mentioned, but a way to switch between or connect an individual client's contact with their business contact.
Also if a client owns multiple businesses, have that functionality available.

Tagged:
0 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• ArielAriel Posts: 11
    edited September 8

@hyun_kim As far as I know, you can link them via the "important contacts" in the client profile (left side, very bottom). This way they are "connected" but the individual and the individual's businesses remain 2 different "contact" counts. I think it makes sense to group them together since you don't do taxes for either one separately without the other. Think about how many more additional steps are there when you have a serial entrepreneur on your hands with 4-5 businesses!

This situation is a bit tricky when you have a multi-generation family business, which we have a handful of. We can try learning all their names and duplicate info across, but it REALLY would be great if the concept of business owners can be integrated in a more catered way in the contact management.

• hyun_kimhyun_kim Posts: 7

@Ariel Thank you. This route is fine for us. The big issue was when clients send all documents through one portal and we want to try to separate them via each contact.

• JohnThrivesJohnThrives Posts: 169 ✭✭✭✭
    I do agree some of my "old school" clients are not aware if they are uploading files to the correct portals or not which creates a mess because Canopy currently does not have a way to efficiently redirect the files to the appropriate portals without downloading and uploading them back and forth.
  • legio1221legio1221 Posts: 17 ✭✭

+2 for the comment by @Ariel . A confusing aspect of 'linking' clients together is that the relationship 'description' is the same for both. Ideally, I would like a unique description for each contact's relationship description.

For example, Contact I and Contact II have a 'linked' relationship.
    Contact I relationship description - Parent company
    Contact II relationship description - Child company