If you have a recommendation for Canopy, please create that discussion in the Ideation category. We will be able to give better feedback with status changes and comments regarding the decisions made. It will also allow individuals to actually "upvote" the ideas they like.

Client Tax Transcript

JohnThrivesJohnThrives Posts: 165 ✭✭✭✭

Which is the fastest way to get a client's IRS Tax Transcript?

1. To have the client get the transcript on their own and upload it to Canopy?

2. For Canopy and/or CPA firm to get the IRS Tax Transcript on behalf of the client?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 admin

@JohnThrives It depends if you already have an 8821 or 2848 on file with the CAF.

The options:
    1. Already have e-services access and previously submitted the 8821 or 2848 to the CAF unit: Canopy all the way (like 2-3 minutes). Also, the system generates a nice looking report that can be shared with the client (and has the custom branding on the cover sheet.
    2. If you have not already filed the forms with the CAF unit, they are currently closed. You may want to call the PPS line, fax over the forms while on the phone, and ask them to place the transcripts in your Secure Objective Repository (SOR) aka your secure mailbox.
    3. Alternative 3 is to have your client use IRS.gov's "Get Your Tax Record"

If the only options are 2 or 3, generally I will take option 2 and use speaker phone while I'm on hold. That allows me to work on other things until they pick up.