If you have a recommendation for Canopy, please create that discussion in the Ideation category. We will be able to give better feedback with status changes and comments regarding the decisions made. It will also allow individuals to actually "upvote" the ideas they like.

Granular Permissions

legio1221legio1221 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I think Canopy would greatly benefit from having detailed permissions on a per user basis.
Ideally, I'd like CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) permissions and Allow/Disallow permissions for the different features in Canopy (e.g. do not allow a specific user to invite a client to a portal; create-only permission to upload files).

Primarily, I'd like to see permissions implemented for the Billing module. I've got a use-case where I need users to have read-only permissions on their assigned clients. I can't have them deleting, updating, or creating other items in Billing.

Nice-to-have permissions would include approval based workflows (i.e. Manager creates some task, Staff Member works on task and requests approval, manager updates the task to reflect completion).

TL;DR - CRUD & Allow/Disallow permissions for Canopy's modules and features.

4 votes

New Idea · Last Updated

Comments

• legio1221legio1221 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

Addenum I

As I continue to implement Canopy into our workflows, permissions seem to be a pervasive subject in our firm.

Permissions Manager

In addition to permissions, a permissions manager would be ideal. Especially one where we can create roles with preset permissions (i.e. data entry clerk, staff I clerk, tax preparer, administrator, etc.).

File Management

As for File Management, being able to give different users a subset of CRUD permissions will help keep Personally Identifiable Information (PII) to a minimum.
    Don't quote me on this one, but the Assigned member may not need to have total access to the File module. I'd much prefer the Roles route

File Management Example

1. Example Client File Tab (assigned to Staff I)
      a. Folder I (accessible by default to the assigned user [Staff I in this case])
      .... i. Excel file
      .... ii. PDF file
      b. Folder II (accessible by Tax Preparer)
      .... i. Non-PII PDF (accessible by Staff I after some permission workflow)
      .... ii. PII PDF (not accessible by Staff I)
  • L_BakerL_Baker Posts: 1

I agree that at least one additional level of User is needed, or differing levels of permissions. Giving the ability to a user to see all contacts, even if not assigned to them, and to add or remove themselves from certain contacts makes the notifications setting much more useful and practical in a tax office where anyone may need to access a client's file at any given time, but is not actively working on the file and thus does not need a notification when that client uploads a document into their portal.