If you have a recommendation for Canopy, please create that discussion in the Ideation category. We will be able to give better feedback with status changes and comments regarding the decisions made. It will also allow individuals to actually "upvote" the ideas they like.

Canopy Text Recognition

JohnThrivesJohnThrives Posts: 135 ✭✭✭✭

For Canopy on the iPadOS platform, I would like to implement Apple’s “Text Recognition in Vision Framework” with Apple Pencil support in order to initiate a box selection of various areas of the tax document to be OCRed and copy/pasted to the appropriate fields in the tax software.

Currently, I can do the above by using 5 different softwares between MacOS and Windows 10 but hoping to consolidate all softwares into one into the Canopy for iPadOS to future streamline the data extraction process and enhance the user experience in the tax department.

Tagged:
3 votes

New Idea · Last Updated

Comments

• JohnThrivesJohnThrives Posts: 135 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think I will ever get a vote on this text recognition request due to the following reasons:

1. The average tax preparer does not understand text recognition and the benefits of it compared to manually typing each tax data field one by one.

2. I might be the only person in the entire U.S. tax industry that uses Apple's iPad with the Apple Pencil to input tax data between Canopy's platform and windows-based tax software(s).

3. The average tax preparer does not like changing from their old processes especially if it costs more money for additional hardware and/or software to perform text recognition with the required speed and precision.

I'm open to feedback on this matter 🙂