If you have a recommendation for Canopy, please create that discussion in the Ideation category. We will be able to give better feedback with status changes and comments regarding the decisions made. It will also allow individuals to actually "upvote" the ideas they like.

Collaboration with other practitioners >:[

HAckermanHAckerman Posts: 20 ✭✭

I can't share files with another tax professional that uses Canopy via Canopy because our emails are already in use. We can't even trick the system with an unused email address that forwards to the main address.

That is some Dr. Strangelove-level nonsense. Plz fix.

6 votes

In Development · Last Updated

Currently being worked on by product/engineering. No ETA for delivery at this time.

Comments

• John_DamousJohn_Damous Transforming problems into 3D solutions Posts: 106 ✭✭✭✭

I have the same issue. Please fix

• JohnThrivesJohnThrives Posts: 135 ✭✭✭✭

I did encounter this issue too. It appears when Canopy built out its platform, it did not realize a client may be shared by multiple CPA firms using the same Canopy platform. The reason is because a client portal can only be owned by one CPA firm and not by multiple CPA firms. Therefore in order to fix the issue, the client portal need to be owned by the client themselves in order to be shared by multiple CPA firms. Do you think a client portal should be owned by the client or by a CPA firm as the master owner?

• John_DamousJohn_Damous Transforming problems into 3D solutions Posts: 106 ✭✭✭✭

@JohnThrives, I don't see any matter with having a portal shared with another CPA. It seems that you understood that it's like multiple CPA's would have access to the same client info in the client portal. If that's the case then i agree with you, it does not make sense. I would mix up the files, billing, and more.

I look on that the same as a client owns to companies then the client will see in the portal a drop-down box to select which of their connected contacts they wish to see. The same is with the client shared by two CPA's i think it makes a lot of sense that the portal should show a drop-down box to allow the client to select the profile the which to access.

@jeffrey.mcneal @JohnThrives

Awesome, that's what we have requested. and thanks for the recent status update.

But, it may run into a problem, if 2 CPA's will have a shared client and have access to the client files and invoices of the client other CPA. The client files and invoices are not something to be shared with another CPA unless it's authorized by the other CPA. (as @JohnThrives mentioned

I think that the way it supposed to be is, that each client who is shared by another CPA, will act as another contact under the same email address and show in the portal as if the client has 2 profiles, and the client will be able to choose which profile they want to access. (the same as if a client has personal and business profile and its shared by one email address).

As i speak, i suggest that it would be a great idea if the client will have the capability to allow a third party to access specific files that are saved on the client portal. This will help when a client wants to share a file from 1 CPA to the other CPA.

It could also work when a client wants to share a file with a financial institution, but it will need to work like this. That the third party will get a link and will need to enter there email address and the sender email address, to verify their authorization of accessing the file. (for this I am going to create a new ides request)